Chocolate brownie and cookie oh my! Put 3 of my favourite things together and what do you get? A triple punch of chocolatey goodness, otherwise known and Chocolava cookies*.
I came across this recipe recently while browsing the CBC parents website. They look decadent and I immediately assumed would be too delicate and finicky a baking project for the girls. Any food with “lava” in its name has got to be pretty heavy-duty, right? A quick glance at the ingredients list and directions, however, and I realized that they’re actually really easy and quick to make.
For this batch, Lauren preferred not to roll all of the dough balls in icing sugar. Sugar or not, they all tasted great. Chocolate fans will love these and they’re a great addition to any holiday baked goods gift set.
|1 1/3 cups||all-purpose flour|
|1/3 cup||brown sugar|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1/4 cup||butter, softened|
|2||large eggs, lightly beaten|
- Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt
- Add the butter and stir until the mixture is well combined and crumbly
- Add eggs and vanilla and stir by hand just until the dough comes together. The dough will be dry but keep stirring until it comes together
- Place a handful of icing sugar into a shallow dish
- Roll dough into small ping pong ball size balls and roll in icing sugar to coat
- Place the balls on a greased baking sheet and bake for 12–14 minutes at 350°F, until just set around the edges but still soft in the middle
- Set aside to cool